Hook 42, a full-service, distributed web agency delivering Drupal and WordPress development, is currently seeking a full-time Development Manager to be part of our Development team.
You will be responsible for managing the development team, recruiting talent, identifying skills, and mentoring growth. You’ll oversee the production of code of multiple developers on multiple projects, ensuring standards are used. You’ll work with the larger organization to continuously improve processes and protocols, with a focus on team enablement and documentation. You’ll partner with the Architects and Project Managers to ensure solid practices are in place, participate in staff planning, and keep your finger on the pulse of Hook 42’s ability to deliver quality work efficiently to our customers. As part of the service delivery team, you’ll assist with the sales process, providing visibility into skills and providing some general development expectations for new efforts.
This is a remote position, so you need to be able to manage your time effectively, reach across geographies and timezones. You’ll drive progress and push project awareness up, across and out. This means you’ll have to overcome the hurdles of managing a distributed team of developers, uncovering communication gaps and bringing the team together cohesively.
- Identify and recruit new talent, reviewing resumes and portfolios, interview candidates, and test project submission code
- Integrate new developers by onboarding them to company processes, best practices, and tools
- Participate in staff planning by ensuring we have a clear view of the skills, strengths, and weaknesses of developers across projects
- Recommends work for developers to balance their efficiency against providing them challenge
- Establish and keep open communication with the team through regular development team meetings and individual check-ins, coaching them on areas of improvement in order to optimize for efficiency and mitigate risk
- Report on the performance of developers both, employee and contractor, meeting with the CTO to discuss team issues and process issues, bringing solutions to address them
- Partner with the Architects, participating in improvements in technical approaches, tooling, architecture, and process
- Review individual performance, perform basic code review, and evaluate deployment support within various workstreams with the goal of looking for areas of growth for the individual and the processes used
- Participate in the sales process, providing insight into skills availability and giving general estimates
- Define development approach and roadmap for the implementation plan during project kick-off
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience, and 5-7 years of experience working in web development as a programmer preferably at a web agency
- Show significant experience with the Front End and Back End code language landscape: PHP, CSS, JS, HTML, and object oriented programming
- Proficiency in enterprise-grade web infrastructure, Drupal or WordPress a plus
- Experience working with a variety of development environments, troubleshooting local set ups and mentoring others in proper management, including Linux, Docker, Windows, etc.
- Must have 2-3 years experience in team and/or project leadership, including actively managing, mentoring, and developing people
- Have an in-depth knowledge of the tools and workflows required to facilitate code review, test changes, code merges, and handle code deployments using GitHub, GitLab, CircleCI, etc.
- Be comfortable creating your own toolset or workflow and contributing to our growth
- Have strong ability to spot issues with code when reviewing the differences between changes
- Know how to use bug/issue tracking software
- Know how to identify strengths and weaknesses in team members and mentor towards positive change
- Know how to work with distributed development teams over multiple time zones
- Have strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach, and mentor project team members
Tools and Processes
- Comfortable with conferencing systems including screen sharing (e.g. Zoom, GoToMeeting)
- Familiarity with and consistent use of instant messaging programs (e.g. Slack, Skype)
- Proficiency with document tools (e.g. G Suite, Microsoft Office)
- Consistent use of ticket management systems (e.g. Jira, Zoho, Basecamp, Asana, Trello)
- Deep familiarity with Software Development Lifecycle process
- Strong knowledge of Git workflows and supporting tools
- Managed hosting platforms (e.g. Acquia, Pantheon, Platform.sh)