Drupal Core Initiative Meetings Recap - July 16th-24th, 2019

Drupal Core Meetings July 2019 Week 04 Recap

Our lead community developer, Alona Oneill, has been sitting in on the latest Drupal Core Initiative meetings and putting together meeting recaps outlining key talking points from each discussion. This article breaks down highlights from meetings this past May. You'll find that the meetings, while also providing updates of completed tasks, are also conversations looking for community member involvement. There are many moving pieces as things are getting ramped up for Drupal 9, so if you see something you think you can provide insights on, we encourage you to get involved.

Out of the box meeting  07/16/19

At this meeting we discussed the following issues:

Drupal 9 readiness

Meetings are for core and contributed project developers as well as people who have integrations and services related to core. Site developers who want to stay in the know to keep up-to-date for the easiest Drupal 9 upgrade of their sites are also welcome.

  • Usually happens every other Monday at 18:00 UTC.
  • Is done over chat.
  • Happens in threads, which you can follow to be notified of new replies even if you don’t comment in the thread. You may also join the meeting later and participate asynchronously!
  • Has a public Drupal 9 Readiness Agenda anyone can add to.
  • Transcript will be exported and posted to the agenda issue.

Meeting Highlights from 07/08/19

Multiple branch compatibility, semantic versioning, and composer.json proposal:

Schema version and database updates hooks in Drupal 9.

Split off SchemaInstaller from schema.inc, the question is how long should 8xxx hooks be kept. They will need to be updated to D9, but should we have people update to 8.last first, and fire all of those updates before allowing them to update to D9 and start the 9xxx series of hooks?                                         

We discussed that at least for now, we will leave the minimum at 8000 for the sake of running updates, or have some special handling for when one is running the D9 codebase with a 8xxx schema to force an update before one's site works, or something along those lines.

Deprecation cleanup status -  blockers to D9 branch opening

Examples module for D9 is looking for maintainer(s)

Module renames, action and menu blockers

Drupal core cross-initiative meeting 07/24/19 


Status of Media

  • Focus is on WYSIWYG, working on three things.
  • Representing media in WYSIWYG is going quite well. Well tested, some CSS things outstanding, following Cristina and Lauri discussion.


Status of CMI 2

  • Big API patch landed, not blocker anymore.
  • The ball is in their court, as the module is not yet ready to review.


Status of Workspaces

  • On track for stable workspaces. Currently working on:
    • fixing the bugs,
    • sub-workspaces, and
    • merging (not written yet because it needs the hierarchy).

Blocked Items In Workspaces


Status of Claro

  • General components need to be unblocked for beta / Drupal 8.8.
    • The Media library is the most important.
      • Currently doing research there.
    • Status report page UI.
    • Some other small components.
  • There is a new designer joining full time.

Blocked Items in Claro

Auto Updates

Status of Auto Updates

  • Lucas can now move forward as he was unblocked by DA last week.
  • PSA feed is the first phase, once it is there we will Drupal set message on every page.
    • This will go to core once/if possible.
    • There will be a contrib release first to figure out bugs.
  • Checking for update eligibility would stay in contrib, there are various readiness checkers that are tagged services. (Is read only, do you have db update, local modifications.)
    • All readiness checks are in 8 and 7 and committed.
  • Next step will be an in-place update with a quasi-patch zip file, there is an issue with passing tests. (It has a manifest to know deleted files, other files drop-in replacements.)
    • Ftp will make this available.
    • Will not work for dev branches or hacked sites.
    • Using composer will not be supported in the first version, only for tgz.


Status of Migrate

  • Ideally do an audit step, Mike proposed a framework for this, very high priority.

Blocked Items in Migrate

Drupal 9

Status of Drupal 9

  • Deprecation fixes going in core going very well, down to 29 individual issues, all have issues, once the Drupal::l() lands, we will be down to double digits of instances.
  • Symfony 5 and 4.4 is in heavy development, we don't know what to adapt to right now, so we are in a holding pattern waiting for what is going to happen there.
  • Symfony 4.3 has some fails.


Status of Composer

  • Moving along pretty well.
  • Wikimedia merge plugin (original solution to core directory and product scaffold files) is to be removed, so we can move closer to the unofficial composer on its way to being official.
    • We don't know if anyone is relying on it.
  • Core vendor cleanup plugin should be reusable.
  • Scaffolding introduced a random fail, looking at that.
  • Templates are the last part when we can change drupal.org packaging, when the tarballs would be created by composer eventually.
  • Spreading out to solving "all things wrong with composer."
    • Eg. subtree split to only get core modules you need not all of them.
    • Lightning should be able to be built on drupal.org.